Riki's Little Spot on the Web


My Pets

Screech
August 26, 2003-

Red
?-April 1, 2005

Reese
?-

**My Trivia Page**


Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hurricane Katrina.. one year later.. huh?

Hi all..

As most know, yesterday was the first anniversary of the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf States... I've been watching the specials in the last few days, showing the then and now situations.. and I don't see a whole lot of difference,, except that all the water has receded.. there has been some rebuilding in New Orleans, but there have also been whole sections of the city that haven't been touched... there still isn't a proper hospital, and they are still waiting for aid from FEMA.. New Orleans might be the biggest example, but they're certainly not the only ones.. there are cities all over the Gulf State area that are still trying to reinstate basic services for their citizens.. in the most powerful country in the world, this seems utterly ridiculous to me.. Maybe there is a lot that I don't know... and being Canadian, we don't see hurricanes very often with the intensity of Katrina.. but I do remember the last big one we had here, Hurricane Juan in September 2003.. We weren't hit near as bad and Lousiana and Mississippi, but it did take months to rebuild.. as opposed to the years it appears it's going to take to rebuild in those states.. but any aid we needed came pretty quickly from Govt.. and we weren't shooting at each other while we got things back together.. we helped each other.. Anyway, I'm getting off the point that I was trying to make.... why are these people still trying to get the funds to rebuild? they should have it by now, and be well on the way to rebuilding their cities, and their lives... the more that I see on tv, the more I want to do something to help those who are still waiting... those who still don't have adequate housing.. those who don't have proper hospitals.. those who still don't have funning water.. What can I, as one small Canadian woman, do to help these people? Does anyone have any suggestions??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home